Secrets of the Tautari Wetland
- Duration: 75 Minutes (approx.)
- Location: Pukeatua, New Zealand
- Product code: SOTTW
One of our knowledgeable guides will take you through the tuatarium in search of the well-camouflaged tuatara as they bask near the entrances to their burrows. Tuatara are the sole surviving members of an ancient group of reptiles found only in New Zealand. Encountering a tuatara for the first time can transport you to a pre-historic world!
Observe the endearing takahē, a New Zealand conservation icon. Thought to be lost forever, takahē made history when they were rediscovered in the remote mountains of Fiordland in 1948. This large, flightless bird helped shape the future of conservation techniques in Aotearoa. By booking on this tour, your contribution helps Sanctuary Mountain® Maungatautari contribute to the Department of Conservation's takahē recovery programme.
BOOK ONLINE FOR A DISCOUNTED PRICE.
- This tour includes a complimentary Sanctuary Explorer Pass, to be redeemed during daylight hours, and on the day of it's issue.
- This tour is 75-80 minutes long. Please allow 10-15 minutes to walk to and from the wetland enclosure.
*Please note this tour has seasonal availability and restrictions:
- Viewing of tuatara is reliant on seasonal temperature variations and, like us, they prefer to be tucked up inside their burrows during the winter months of June- August.
- Viewing of takahē may be restricted during their breeding season October through January.
Standard booking terms and conditions apply.