Sanctuary Explorer Pass
- Duration: 180 Minutes (approx.)
- Location: Pukeatua
- Product code: SMMSEP
We have put measures in place, in line with Alert Level 2 restrictions, to ensure the wellbeing and safety of our visitors, volunteers, and staff. These include:
- Our staff, volunteers and contractors will stay home if they feel unwell or need to self-isolate in line with Ministry of Health Guidelines
- Washing hands with soap and water often
- Coughing or sneezing into elbows or by covering mouth and nose with tissues, then putting used tissues in the bin or a bag immediately
- Contact tracing measures in place through QR code and online form
- Avoiding close contact with people who are unwell
- Encouraging a two-metre physical distance with others, using alternative greetings instead of handshaking, hugging etc
- Cleaning and disinfecting frequently touched surfaces and objects
- Travel restrictions for business purposes
Explore our showcase site Te Tūī a Tāne Southern Enclosure at your own pace and experience an ancient, vibrant, pest-free forest alive with native wildlife including many of New Zealand’s rarest and most endangered insects, birds and fish.
Listen to the sounds of the forest and marvel at the biodiversity with over 5 km of wide, metaled walking tracks. Our sanctuary is accessible to most (suitable for pushchairs and some wheelchairs -please phone use for details) and there are plenty of seats along the way. Some conveniently placed near nectar feeding stations where hihi - stichbird and korimako - bellbird like to visit. Give it time and a friendly pītoitoi - North Island robin might come along and say kia ora - hello!
As you explore with your visitor guide map, keep an eye out for all the interesting interpretation panels along the way. Make sure you call into the clearing where you may have the opportunity to see one of our cheeky kākā - New Zealand forest parrot and take a walk on the wild-side with a treetop view from our 16 metre high observation tower.
Your Sanctuary Explorer Pass is for entry to the structures and sites in Te Tūī a Tāne southern enclosure. This fee helps us maintain these facilities including the viewing tower, aviary and signage, as well as supporting our conservation work in this very special place.
***Please note your Sanctuary Explorer Pass can only be used during daylight hours on the day of it's issue.
It can be collected from/or bought on the day from reception at Manu Tīoriori Visitor Centre.
Opening hours: 8:30am - 4:00pm daily. Closed 25th December.
Standard booking terms and conditions apply.